For the bhallas
250 grams split black gram/urid dal soaked for 6-7 hours
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
1 pinch soda bicarbonate
1 teaspoon salt
oil for deep frying
For the dahi/yogurt mix
1 kg yogurt
2 teaspoon dry roasted and crushed cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black salt
pinch of salt
- Grind the soaked black gram nicely adding very little water so as to get a thick batter.
- Add to the batter chili powder, cumin seeds, chopped coriander leaves, soda bicarbonate and salt.
- Whisk well for a few minutes.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying in a wok. Make small balls of the batter and add to the hot oil. Fry on a medium flame until light brown on all sides.
- Remove from the oil and immerse the balls in a pan of hot water.
- Allow the balls to soak in the water for 15 minutes.
- Gently squeeze out the water from the balls. Take care not to break the balls.
- Place the squeezed balls in a flat serving dish.
- Add to the yogurt the crushed cumin seeds, black salt and salt and whisk well.
- Pour this yogurt mix over the balls in the serving dish and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While serving, pour some tamarind chutney and sprinkle little bhujia on top.