10-12 mushrooms(any kind can be used)
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 inch ginger piece, sliced into sticks
3-4 garlic cloves, sliced
2 green chillies, slit
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder(use less if you don't want it very spicy)
2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup thick coconut milk
curry leaves, few
3 Tbsp coconut oil
2-3 shallots/cherulli, sliced
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fennel/saunf/perumjeerakam powder
- Slice the mushrooms and keep aside
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a wok. Add the sliced onion, garlic, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute until the onion turns light brown in colour.
- Reduce the flame and add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well and fry for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, salt and mix well. Fry for 2 minutes and then add the water.
- Mix well, cover and cook on a medium flame until the mushrooms get cooked.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the thick coconut milk and mix well. Heat for 2-3 minutes and then remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp oil. Add the mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter, add the sliced shallots and few curry leaves.
- Fry until the shallots turn golden brown. Add the fennel powder and fry for a second more(A beautiful aroma comes at this step). Pour this seasoning over the mushroom curry and cover immediately.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving. Mix well and serve.
*Don't skip the addition of the fennel powder, as this ingredient gives a beautiful taste to the dish.